Oh haaaaay. It’s been awhile since I’ve been around, and I’m VERY sorry for that! There has been about 1 million, thousand things going on and every time I go to bake or create food, something else gets thrown my way.
HOWEVER, a couple weekends ago, I went away with my Mom and my sister for our annual Mother/Daughter weekend to the beautiful town of Elora, ON. It was everything my tired soul needed. Whenever my sister, mom & I get together, it’s nothing by giggles, sarcasm and of course, wine. I’m so lucky to have these two in my life.
This year, instead of going OUT to do an activity, we stayed in and were each responsible for bringing a “craft” that we could all do together. Of course, mine was of a baked variety (because, let’s face it, I’m not exactly the crafty type). I looked for a recipe that my gluten free sister could enjoy and that didn’t require a lot of appliances. I also had a bunch of avocados laying around and VOILA, I found this recipe.
Now, don’t let the name fool you because I know the thought of avocados in cookies can sound kinda yucky. I was actually quite skeptical as well, by holy hot damn, these are fricking good. Like, fudgey, gooey, dark chocolate amazingness. They lasted all of 10 minutes. FUN FACT: They go perfectly with a glass of red wine.
We had to improvise a bit, so I’m going to tell you about the method that I used, but I’ve added notes so you can try them the way the original recipe instructed.
Please just try them once. After that, you’ll be making them again and again! Besides – have I EVER led you astray?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Makes: about 14 cookies
3/4 cup Very Ripe Avocado Flesh (About 2 medium Avocados)1/2 cup brown sugar (substitute coconut sugar if desired)
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks (use more if desired)
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper
- Using a masher, fork or hand mixer, mix together the sugar and the avocados – we used a fork, so they were PRETTY chunky, but still worked just fine.
- Add in the egg – I would suggest using a hand mixer for this step, but again, we didn’t have one, so I just whisked it together by hand. My arm got tired, but it got the job done.
- Add in the cocoa powder and baking soda until just combined.
- Add in the chocolate chunks and stir until just incorporated.
- Use two spoons to scoop and drop onto the baking sheet. Note – these don’t spread like regular cookies, so press them down a bit with you fingers or a spoon.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes (really depends on your oven) or until the cookies no longer stick to the cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool (if you can!)
Another pro tip – these are quite yummy when fresh out of the oven, but are even better the next day. Either way, they’re frigging amazing and even a die-hard avocado hater will love them (just don’t tell them!)
Enjoy my loves!
Original Recipe by: The Smoothie Lover